Eddie Lucio, III was born in Brownsville, Texas on December 19, 1979. He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a Bachelor of Business Administration in 2001. In 2005, Eddie earned his Doctorate of Jurisprudence from the University of Texas School of Law.
Eddie was elected to represent House District 38 in the Texas Legislature at the age of 26. He has served six terms in the Texas House of Representatives and is a member of the Government Transparency and Operation Committee and the Natural Resources Committee. For the 85th Texas Legislature, Eddie was appointed Chair of the Rules and Resolutions Committee—the procedural committee with jurisdiction over all Rules and Procedure of the House of Representatives.
As Texas State Representative, Eddie’s accomplishments encompass areas that are essential to the success of South Texas. Some of these accomplishments include:
- the creation of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley and its School of Medicine
- access to adequate healthcare like the Medicaid Buy-In program for children with special needs
- expansion of health insurance coverage for children with autism
- providing college credit for military service
- establishing student dropout recovery programs for school districts
- expanding career and technical education opportunities
- protecting the environment by investing in Texas water quality needs
- securing funding for Texas Grant scholarships for college students
Eddie believes the best days of Texas are still ahead of us if we all reach for them together. He has a history of putting partisanship aside, bringing stakeholders together to get things done. Humbled by the faith and support the people of District 38 have given him, Eddie is committed to real progress for the State of Texas—especially the Rio Grande Valley.
Eddie is the proud son of Senator Eddie Lucio, Jr. and Mrs. Herminia Lucio. He is happily married to Jaime Barrera and they have two children – Olivia Rose and Eduardo Andres, IV.
Last updated: August 2017